Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 20, 2012

3 Squares

Everyone I know understands that a healthy life includes a healthy diet which usually includes, breakfast, lunch and dinner. You may have even heard the term 3 squares a day, or 3 square meals a day. This Idea of being square eludes to blocks and by extension buildi9ng blocks which form a good foundation for daily living. I still remember being taught in school the nutritional chart and the different categories of food groups and the concept of an ideally balanced diet. Even now many years later balance is considered to be the key to our lives. Work verses play, leisure verses exercise, junk food verses whole food and many other moderations including how much meat we eat, fruit and vegetables.  Even those of us who perhaps don’t have the greatest balance in some of these areas still agree that 3 squares are important.
So it is surprising to me why it took so long to figure out that what I apply to my physical being should also be applied to much spiritual being. Just as my body requires certain things for health, maintenance and growth, so too does my spiritual being. Many times I have wondered why I feel disconnected, uninspired and even despondent because God feels so far away. The reality is that it is I and not him who is far away. I need to feed my spirit on 3 squares just like my body. Prayer, meditation in the word, and listening to his spirit are the key elements to this growth. If I want to be a more whole, and a more complete person, should I not concern myself with more frequent feedings from his truth? And how much more important is it than the actual feeding of my body? I mean if I believe in life everlasting; one which is comprised of eternity in the spirit and not of earthly flesh is it not of even more importance? It must have been for Jesus even requested of Peter to “feed my Sheep” three times (aka 3 Squares).
John 21:15-17
King James Version (KJV)
15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

So I have a new challenge to pursue, a new race to run for I wish to grow strong in my faith and the best way I can see right now is to dig into 3 squares a day. For those of us with children this is even more important because we are charged by God to feed and be responsible for our children, so I encourage you as well to make sure they get all their physical and spiritual nutrition. Even the veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment