Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Benefits of Sleep

My brother posted a challenge on Facebook the other day, one which I have chosen to accept. Now only after I had done so, did I learn that he was not the author of the challenge but simply an advocate of the idea. The premise of this challenge was to create a piece of writing without electronics, but with the old school pen and paper. The perception being that by doing this exercise, it would result in better content and writing. And so here I am writing today about sleep, the subject my brother David suggested. As you can see I have typed the resulting piece from the original chicken scratch.
As I am both fond of sleep and know many of its values, I think this was a good choice. Sleep is an essential part of life and takes up and makes up about one third of our day and by extension life. I suggest that it is very important to all of us and that the benefits of sleep are numerous. Here are the ones that I personally value the most.
Sleep is great for repairing the body. During this immobile state, all of the body’s miraculous energies have the opportunity to focus inwards. Scars heal, nails and hair grow, blood is made and even our spines are rejuvenated. Did you know that while you are laying down the individual parts of your spine swell? These fluids which are lost during the day; after the effects of gravity and the whole day have been pressing you down are once again allowed to pool and be absorbed.  That means that you are taller in the morning then when you go to bed.
Not only is does our physical being and body reboot, but so do our complex minds. As we sleep our brain switches into housekeeping mode and begins the filing of information. Memories that have been taken in during the day are sifted and transported from short term to long term memory. Many times I have even awakened during this process by the solving of a problem that occurred during the day. I am sure that if I were to interview people, that they would have similar stories of their own sleeping Eureka moments.
As with both the mind and body, our spirits are refreshed as well. Today in our fast paced environments we are constantly bombarded by information, stimulation and anxiety riddled issues. This overwhelming condition can only be reset through sleep. If you are like me, you can sometimes get too wrapped up in things and then they can override all other reasonable thoughts. This worry or obsessing state is not only damaging but also stops you from moving forward and impacting other things that you wanted to accomplish. Sleep is the ultimate perspective reset. My problems never seem to be as large or as important the following morning as they do in the present moment. The simple fact that my existence is established daily, every morning, brings new attitude and appreciation for life.
So let us not be childlike and struggle against this great gift, but let us rejoice that come the morning we will feel more than just refreshed, but new and full of life in the knowledge that with sleep comes energy, perspective and good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment