Total Pageviews

Friday, September 7, 2012

My Wife, My Hero

Many of you know this already, but I adore my wife and she is my hero. Despite the frequent rumors, she rescued me and it was not the other way around. Merna, my wife is vision impaired this in no way means that she is disabled! I hate that word, because it is full of ignorance and lacks the understanding that we are all differently gifted from God.
What I mean to accomplish by writing this blog is to open people’s eyes to how wonderful she is, how courageous and how good God is. Now I do need to point out here that even with my understanding of who she is this is only a fraction of what I am sure she has to cope with on a daily basis. I want you to imagine what it is like to not be able to see by closing your eyes, feel the darkness sink into to your mind. I know that you’re probably like me and can stumble around in the dark at night to get that glass of water or use the washroom, but think of being outside of an environment that you know. Slowly go through all of the daily routines, like taking a shower, picking out your clothes, walking to the bus, finding a seat, knowing if you’re on time or simply seeing a Tim Horton’s you can pull into for that first coffee. Now go over them again with no or low vision. Can’t find the shampoo that your husband moved, not sure if your shirt matches your pants or shoes, not being able to see the construction on the sidewalk, missing the bus because he stopped short of the actual stop, and not knowing where you are or simply what stores are available. I hope you don’t have to use the washroom right now; you might be walking into the men’s room instead of the ladies.
What I have described above is a fraction of what my lovely wife deals with daily and if you couple this with good intentioned people, who grab her, pull her cane or simply walk over it to get on the bus first then I think you will start to understand her better. I don’t know about you, but I have doubts that I could do it. Simply living seems to tuff, except that for her it isn’t. She lets nothing stop her from doing what she wants to do; trial and error does not phase her. Top that off with all of her abilities, like crochet, harmonica, piano, cycling, singing and her continuous offers to assist those around her and you being to have an appreciation for how wonderful she is.
So I will close this letter with thanks to God for bringing her in my life and guiding her on a daily basis. Truly I have been blessed as a man to know so great a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment